10 Things To Know About Moroccan Rug! Why Must You Try it?
Moroccan carpets have become something of an obsession among the design crowd, and if you have not yet jumped on the car, here are 10 reasons to consider giving one a try. But first, a little background.
A very short history of Moroccan rugs. Authentic Beni Ourain carpets have been handmade by the people of the Beni Ourain tribes in the Atlas Mountains of Morocco for generations. Originally used as warm, comfortable bed covers, these hand woven rugs are much plusher and softer than your middle carpet area. They are made from sheep wool stored at high elevations, which produces a particularly thick, warm fiber in rich creamy to beige tones.
Carpets tend to be decorated with geometric or abstract designs. Since the mid-20th century, they have gained worldwide popularity and are now being mass-produced by companies from West Elm to Rugs USA. If one is observed closely, the difference between the actual treatment and a mass-produced carpet will be obvious: the latter tend to have more regular patterns and whiter white areas (instead of cream or beige), while the former have natural Variations and much plusher, softer feeling.
Now the reasons to try a Moroccan carpet.
1. Fashionable and classic. Beni Ourain Moroccan carpets have been seen everywhere, and the trend shows no signs of slowing down. In fact, this "trend" has been going on for so long now, I think "new classic" is a better term for these well-liked carpets.
2. Super warm and welcoming. Made in the high Atlas Mountains of Morocco, these rugs are designed with warmth in mind. Put a large one in the bedroom and you will make your feet very happy, especially on cold winter mornings.
3. Comfortable enough to sit. Can I suggest a Beni Ourain for the nursery? When you have a small one, you're bound to spend a lot of time on the floor - and these rugs are so luxurious, it's like sitting on a floor cushion. Your knees will thank you! (Asking yourself about spills and wear and tear, do not worry, that's covered in the next point.)
4. Surprisingly durable. These carpets have not existed for generations at all - natural fibers are extremely durable, and spills are very easy to clean when treated promptly. I would not put one in the entrance foyer where mucky boots would trample, but otherwise, they could really deal with anything.
5. Work with all colors and patterns. Wearing a Beni Ourain rug is as easy as shedding a favorite pair of blue jeans. Its neutral tone and subtle pattern work with bright or subtle colors, floral, stripes, geometric prints ... and anything else you can come up with!
6. Totally fresh. Does space feel a bit blah? An instantly cool factor of any room with a Moroccan carpet. Clinging to stylish people everywhere, it is able to create a relaxed mood, but without the dreaded 70-rec-room connotation of lint blankets.
7. Authentic ones are unique. Beni Ourain carpets are peeking by hand, so each carpet is unique. Each one has a slightly different color, pattern, and shape, making this a wonderful way to personalize your home - even if these carpets are fashionable (see item No. 1), no one will have one quite like yours.
8. Cover as a dream. Make your Moroccan rug go even further by layering on another natural fiber rug, such as jute or sisal. This is a great way to make use of a smaller carpet in a large space, and layers will give your Moroccan carpet a slightly more traditional feel - especially useful if you want to mix it in a traditional or transitional space.
9. Pull an eclectic room as if nothing out of anyone. As already noted, Moroccan carpets go with all sorts of colors, patterns, and styles, and are undeniably cool - but beyond all that, they have a way of drawing the eye and putting together a room like nothing else. You can take a room filled with a hodgepodge of eclectic finds that have nothing in common, plunk a Beni Ourain rug in the middle of everything, and it suddenly works. If you like the eclectic style, you need one of these rugs.
10. Available at all price points. If you have been drooling in the authentic Moroccan carpet, but the real deal a bit of your price range, you should not feel it. BoucherouiteRug.com (listed here carpets) for launching Pottery Barn and special versions of these popular carpets, some of the very high quality. I recommend a check in the store before you buy, so you can evaluate the quality of it.